Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boys 2011 Baby Name Newcomers

Well, I mentioned how there were quite a few newcomers on the girls side of the top 1000, or second-timers, but I hadn't gotten around to the boys yesterday. To be honest, I spend 90% of my time with girls names, because I don't really like boys names. I have my list of boys names that I like, let's say about 40, and the rest I don't really care for. I won't list them all, but here's an example: I like Gregory, Arthur, Orion, Forest, Archer, Auberon, Oberon, Remy, August, and Dean. I wouldn't say they all fit together, but I do think they're all sturdy names. I actually even like Gavin, Anthony and Mason, which are quite popular. But when I hear/see names like Brayden, Jayden, Bentlee, Jagger, and Sincere...I cringe. My list of boy names I like is much shorter than girls, and I have a very low tolerance for creatively spelled, trendy names in general.

Anyways, enough of that. I'll get on to the lowest part of the 2011 SSA list on the boys side. We have a few unexpected names, not that I know a lot about this side. Cortez surprised me, as did Pierre, Dimitri, Cristiano, Elian, Franco, Anders, Alfred, Stefan, Remy, Darien, Heath, Salvatore and Maksim. I am very accepting of cultural names. Then of course there were the ones I don't like - Princeton, Dangelo, Cayson, Major, Bridger, and Jaydin, to name a few.

So here are the newcomers, which have not made it to the top 1000 ever or at least in the past 12 years. I have not gone through every name, just until the 700s. Also, I was not as pleased with these newcomers as I was with the girls.

Cristiano #975
Maksim #973
Princeton #978
Cayson #991
Kohen #995
Corben #986
Hendrix #976
Zeke #971
Brecken #962 (read this for my two cents)
Maxton #949
Flynn #946 (YAY!)
Otto #930
Crew #943
Greysen #940
Vihaan #932
Benton #938
Enoch #933
Miller #925 (Should've seen this one coming, and be warned that this will be on the girls list some day)
Arian #922 (Wow...)
Braylin #919
Arlo #918 (Should've seen the one coming too, I've seen it everywhere)
Nixon #901
Brysen #900
Callan #885
Rylen #849
Crosby #747
Bowen #723
Raylan #701

And Harvey, which was #999 in 2000 then dropped off the charts, came back at #862. I like Harvey. I wonder if the comeback is Batman related?

Well, that's as far as I go, since I'm thoroughly sick of names ending in N. So, you tell me - are you happy with these newcomers, or would you have preferred to see some other names make the top 1000? Oh, and by the way, did you know Gauge ranks at #754. Yup. And Kale, the leafy green vegetable, ranks at #589. I think half might have been named for the veggie, and half will never know their name is a veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment