Sunday, September 16, 2012

When surname-names are ok

A little on my personal taste...

Two names I was recently impressed with were guys I met named Ford and Miller. However, these were their actual surnames, not surnames-as-first-names. I've always thought it was very cool/cute when friends call someone by their last name. But I still do not encourage using surnames as first names, especially on girls.

It is also very acceptable to use a surname in the middle, such as the mom's surname or somthing further down your family tree.

On another note, I just had a conversation today with a long time friend about the unfortunate need some parents feel in giving their child a creatively spelled name, such as Elyzabeth instead of Elizabeth, Rylee instead of Riley, etc. We were reminiscing about the days we grew up in, where pretty much everyone's name was spelled conventionally (and if anything, it was one letter off, not something random and out of left field), and how much easier our jobs would be if people spelled names right. I had enough trouble with my own name being an Italian variant of a common and popular name, so I can't imagine why anyone would trouble their children with a lifetime of misspellings and correcting.

And for the record, I've been seeing everyone spell the word spelled as spelt. Seriously? Why? Spelt is a type of grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment